Experience the culture and diversity of the city through its lively and colorful markets.
Want to get to know Hanoi better? One of the coolest ways to do that is to hit the local markets. These markets are not just for buying stuff, but also for seeing how the city buzzes and shines. You can find all kinds of things that show how awesome and diverse Hanoi is, from cool crafts and gifts to trendy clothes and gadgets. You can also try some yummy street food that will make your mouth water and your eyes pop. Plus, you can hang out with the locals and learn about their way of life, and also haggle like a pro.
In this guide, we’ll show you the best local markets for shopping in Hanoi, and give you some handy info and tips to make your shopping spree and vietnam tours more fun and awesome.
Address: 23 Cau Dong, Dong Xuan, Hanoi.
Best time to visit: in the morning, around 8:30 AM
Dong Xuan Market is one of the oldest and biggest markets in the old quarter of Hanoi, Vietnam. It was built by the French administration in 1889 and has been renovated several times, most recently in 1994 after a fire that almost destroyed it. The market covers an area of about 9,600 square meters and has three storeys with different types of goods.
If you want to experience the local culture and daily life, Dong Xuan Market is a must-visit destination on your Hanoi tour. You can find everything from clothes, household goods, souvenirs, foodstuffs, pets, fresh flowers to traditional handicrafts such as Dong Ho paintings, Bat Trang ceramics, sand paintings and Binh Da embroideries. The prices are affordable and negotiable, but you need to have good bargaining skills to get the best deals.
To get to Dong Xuan Market, you can take a taxi, a bus or a cyclo from your hotel or any other location in the city. The market is located at 23 Cau Dong, Dong Xuan, Hanoi. The market is open every day from 6 am to 7 pm, but the best time to visit is in the morning or evening when it is less crowded and more lively.
Address: from Hang Dao Street to Dong Xuan Market
Best time to visit: on weekends, from 6 PM to midnight
If you are looking for a lively and colorful place to enjoy the nightlife and culture of Hanoi, you should not miss the Hanoi Weekend Night Market. This is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike, where you can find a variety of goods, food, and entertainment every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night.
The Hanoi Weekend Night Market stretches from Hang Dao Street to Dong Xuan Market, covering several streets in the Old Quarter. You can walk along the pedestrian-only zone and browse through hundreds of stalls selling clothes, accessories, souvenirs, handicrafts, and more.
One of the highlights of the Hanoi Weekend Night Market is the cultural performances that take place on the streets. You can watch some traditional art forms such as water puppetry, ca tru singing, or cheo. You can also enjoy some modern music and dance shows by talented artists. The market is a great place to experience the vibrant and dynamic atmosphere of Hanoi.
The Hanoi Weekend Night Market is open from 6 pm to midnight every weekend. The best time to visit this local market in Hanoi is in the evening when the market is most crowded and lively. You can easily get there by taxi, bus, or cyclo from anywhere in the city. The market is a must-see attraction for anyone who wants to have fun and learn more about Hanoi’s culture.
Address: Nghi Tam dyke, Quang An Ward, Tay Ho District, Hanoi
Best time to visit: 1:00 AM – 2:00 AM
Quang Ba Flower Market is a place where you can immerse yourself in the beauty and fragrance of flowers in Hanoi. It is located on the Nghi Tam dyke, Quang An Ward, Tay Ho District, about 4.5 km from the Old Quarter. It is open every night from 11 pm to 6 am, except for Tet holidays when it opens earlier at 9 pm.
Quang Ba Flower Market is not a typical tourist attraction, but a place where locals buy and sell flowers for various occasions. You can find a wide range of flowers here, from local ones such as roses, chrysanthemums, orchids, lilies, lotuses, to imported ones such as tulips, sunflowers, carnations, and more. The flowers are arranged in colorful piles or bunches, creating a stunning sight that can delight your senses.
Visiting Quang Ba Flower Market, you can also learn something about the culture and lifestyle of Hanoi people. You can see how the flower sellers work hard to transport, display, and bargain for their products. You can also witness how the flower buyers choose their favorite flowers for their homes, offices, or loved ones. You can also join them and buy some flowers for yourself or as gifts for your friends. You can easily get there by taxi, bus, or cyclo from anywhere in the city.
Address: under the Long Bien Bridge, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
Best time to visit: in the early morning, around 4:00 AM to 5:00 AM
Long Bien Wholesale Market is a local market in Hanoi where you can witness the hustle and bustle of Hanoi’s trade and commerce. It is located under the Long Bien Bridge, Ba Dinh District, about 5 km from the Old Quarter. It is open every day from 2 am to 12 pm, except for Tet holidays when it opens earlier at 9 pm.
Long Bien Wholesale Market is the largest wholesale market and the second-largest market in Hanoi and the northern region of Vietnam. It sells all kinds of goods, such as vegetables, fruits, meat, eggs, seafood, flowers, and more. You can find products from different parts of the country, as well as imported ones from China, Thailand, Netherlands, South Africa, and more.
Visiting Long Bien Wholesale Market, you can also experience the culture and lifestyle of Hanoi people. You can see how the sellers and buyers work hard to transport, display, and bargain for their products. You can also interact with them and learn some tips on how to choose the freshest and cheapest products. You can also buy some items for yourself or as gifts for your friends.
The best time to visit Long Bien Wholesale Market is in the early morning, around 4 am to 5 am, when the market is most active and colorful. You can easily get there by taxi, bus, or cyclo from anywhere in the city. The market is a hidden gem for anyone who wants to explore a different side of Hanoi.
5. Tips for Shopping at Local Markets in Hanoi
- Bargain for better deals: You can and should haggle in Hanoi markets, so don’t be afraid to ask for a lower price. You can start with half of what they say and go up from there until you find a fair deal. But don’t be too pushy or mean, because that might make the sellers mad. A nice smile and good manners can help a lot.
- Carry small change: Bring some small bills of dong with you. It’s easier to buy stuff that way, because some sellers might run out of change, especially early or late in the day. You can also use your small bills to haggle, by showing them how much you want to pay.
- Explore different stalls: Compare prices and quality before making a purchase. You might find the same or similar items at different stalls, so it pays to shop around and look for the best deals. You can also ask for discounts if you buy more than one item or in bulk.
- Try local foods: Try some yummy street food in the market. There’s lots of stuff to choose from, like pho, bun cha, banh mi, nem ran, cha ca, and more. You can also go for some weird stuff, like bugs, snails, or baby ducks. Just watch out for the cleanliness and how fresh the food is before you eat.
- Keep an eye on your belongings: Stay mindful of your belongings in crowded areas. Pickpockets and thieves might target unsuspecting tourists, so keep your valuables close to you and avoid flashing expensive items. You can also wear a backpack or a cross-body bag for extra security.
- Immerse in the local experience: Embrace the lively atmosphere and interact with friendly vendors to fully enjoy the vibrant local culture. You can learn some Vietnamese words and phrases, such as hello (xin chao), thank you (cam on), how much (bao nhieu), and too expensive (mac qua). You can also ask questions about the products or the sellers’ stories, as they might be happy to share with you.
Shopping at local markets in Hanoi is a great way to experience the culture and diversity of the city. You can find a variety of products, enjoy the lively atmosphere, and interact with the locals. We hope this guide has helped you plan your shopping trip in Hanoi. If you want to explore more of Hanoi and Vietnam, don’t wait any longer, visit Threeland Travel website or contact us today to book your various tour packages like vietnam tours, laos tour, Cambodia Tours and indochina tours and many more exciting tours !